Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director General will be responsible to deliver on the tasks under the following six main areas:
Board Governance and Reporting
- Engage and work closely with the Board to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Communicate regularly, effectively, and accurately with the Board, providing its members with all necessary information to function properly and make informed decisions.
- Follow up on Board and committee meetings, and ensure that the Board’s directives are carried out in a timely manner.
Strategy and Policy Formulation
- Collaboratively lead strategic planning efforts to ensure an updated strategy is developed and translated into operational plans with measurable outcomes/goals.
- Issue internal regulations and operating procedures to implement Board policies.
- Establish and ensure adherence to proper governance structure, policies and procedures of the organization.
Budgeting and Financial Viability
- Create annual operating budgets to be approved by the board.
- Provide financial oversight ensuring that sound fiscal and risk management practices are in place, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization’s positive financial position.
- Provide regular and thorough updates and accurate financial information to the board, and report any significant challenges, while recommending remedial action where necessary.
- Lead fundraising efforts and business development strategy, diversifying funding streams, with focus on international resources.
- Establish new set of income generating activities in alignment with organization’s strategy and based on potential, scalability and sustainability.
Management and Administration
- Develop and maintain a high performing, and engaged team of employees to ensure that the organization has the talent needed to carry out its mission.
- Approve the appointment of staff within agreed authority limits, and make recommendations to the Board for the appointment of staff above that level.
- Maintain a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops future leadership within the organization
Operational and Technical Oversight
- Provide oversight to the design, delivery and quality of programs, and be able to initiate and identify new programs to achieve high social impact as well as expanded reach.
- Direct and coordinate efforts in a manner such that agreed upon targets are met.
- Ensure meaningful monitoring and evaluation of the organization’s programs and performance and the provision of accurate analysis and routine reporting on the impact.
- Review and report annually, or more often if needed, to the Board on overall progress and results against operating and strategic objectives and KPIs.
- Approve and sign off on all major contracts entered by the organization subject to limits determined by the Board.
Communications and Stakeholders Management
- Represent the organization to regulatory bodies, public and private sectors, community and civic organizations, donors, supporters, and the general public.
- Represent the organization in events, ceremonies, networking events locally or globally.
- Establish and expand robust partnerships and relations with all stakeholders, and ensure effective and engaging communication at all times.
- Utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the organization’s mission and visibility.
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson to its constituents, the media and general public.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- University degree from a reputable university in social development, public health, international studies, business management or related field. A postgraduate degree and/or executive education and certification degrees are highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with at least 3 years in senior management or executive position. Nonprofit management experience is a priority. Previous experience in health development projects is highly desirable.
- Proven record in business development, fundraising experience and working with international donor agencies and large multi-year grants.
- Solid experience in financial planning, modeling, and management.
- Thorough knowledge of the political, social and economic context in Jordan.
- Aware of public health issues and priorities in Jordan, and up to date with global trends.
- Knowledge in control measures, best practice in good governance policies and procedures, with familiarity of existing national laws and regulations.
- Track record in building performing teams and an aspirational value driven organizational culture.
- Credentials in the creation and cultivation of successful partnerships with governments, civil society actors, and the private sector;
Competencies, Skills and Personal Attributes
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and effectively convey the organization’s strategic future and mission to stakeholders.
- Has a strategic and visionary view combined with the ability to grasp the nature of work on the ground at community/grassroot level.
- Exceptional operational management skills of people, finances and systems.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, and task facilitation.
- Excellent team-building capacity to motivate and lead a multi-disciplinary management team to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to develop and deliver memoranda, reports, effective briefing papers and presentations.
- Ability to engage and operate effectively at the highest political levels.
- Sound judgment, problem solving skills and conflict resolution abilities.
- Role model of ethical standards, integrity and transparency.
- Passionate about public health issues and determined to advocate for improved health outcomes in Jordan.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, takes initiative, enthusiastic and has a positive outlook
- Strong interpersonal, public-speaking and influencing skills
- Proficient Arabic and English language skills.
- Excellent computer skills and use of MS programs.